Posts Tagged ‘streetstyle’
I am wearing a JOGGING PANT. In public, shamelessly.
Not that wearing jogging pants is a big deal anymore. Christine Centenera wears them without a blink of an eye and it’s been on the runway for a number of seasons. But I’ve always been skeptical about the place of these house pants in the fashion world.
My aversion began in the tender years of college, where my casual colleagues prompted this personal vow, “I shall never take one footstep out of my home in sweatpants, pajamas or anything of the like.” It perplexed me to be surrounded by a blur of droopy sweats and crinkled flannel. I mean, how hard was it to throw on a grungy pair of jeans?? They didn’t even have to be clean!
Well after all these years, I guess I’ve been won over. But in my defense, the bar for styling jogging pants, even in the traditional grey French terry, has risen significantly. I mean, there are just so many options! But if you’re still feeling hesitant, here are a few tips:
- Start off with a jogging pant that has a little something going on. A contrast cuff, exposed zippers, specialized stitches, something that will rival those dodgy Champions.
- Don’t hesitate to hook it up. Pair those jogging pants with a top in the same color + fabric. But make sure that either 1 or both have a special detail and if not, add something else to the outfit. (See #3 + #4.)
- Juxtapose the sporty pant with something dressy. Maybe it’s your Equipment blouse or a pair of pointed stilettos. Maybe it’s a statement Marni necklace. Things usually work out when you pair up opposites.
- Use outer layers to your advantage. An awesome oversize coat, faux fur, a trench, blazer or leather will all coordinate perfectly with your joggers.
- Lastly, don’t be afraid to go full on sporty. Whether you sneaker wedge it for a little height or just throw on your black suede Nike Air Max’s, own it. As long as you don’t look like you’ve been sitting on your couch for a week in said pants, I think you (and me) will be golden.
*photos by miss j
Was out and about last weekend when Moustache Man spotted this killer alley. You’ll know how much I like to hide out in alleys.
Been feeling my Chucks lately, so I picked up a pair of high tops at the Converse Outlet. My latest project is scouring Ebay for vintage dresses to wear with them. Afterall, how else am I going to break these guys in?
credits: hugo boss shirt, miss selfridges pinafore, haute hippie knit blazer, chucks, rayban wayfarers